Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Postscript 2017 - There's nothing soft in softball

These last two weeks have been quite the emotional roller coaster. Showing up to do games in San Bernardino, the town of my birth, where I grew up, and where I work even now, was the beginning of a dream come true. The tournament itself was everything I dreamed it would be when I started umpiring 10 years ago. I played once on this field when I was a 9 years old minor division player on the Minor Indians at Del Rosa Little League so many moons ago. Sitting in those below ground dugouts was great - feeling like I was a major league player playing in a stadium the size of this field was overwhelming. I never thought after I left the major division in 1986 that I would ever set foot on that field again.

Umpiring gave me that chance. Umpiring lets me get back into the game I loved as a kid and helps me share that experience with the next generation. More importantly, umpiring allows me the opportunity to make friends outside of the church. When I was a children's pastor full time, I worked at church, I hung out with other members of the church, I went to church at the church, I went to events at the church. Everything rotated around the church that I didn't have anyone to reach outside with my testimony or my attitude. We had to close down our childcare center in August of 2007. I was on staff until November 2007. I look back now and see that God was forcing me out of my safe circle.

I had lost my job. We had 2 babies in the house now and only my mother-in-law's income. I got a holiday job restocking at KB Toys which ran over because I was a hard worker and versatile. That lasted until March when I finally got hired on with the school district in San Bernardino. Meanwhile, I was looking for work everywhere until I finally interviewed for CAPS. I found a Craigslist ad looking for umpires in North Rialto, paying $25 a game. I played ball for 10 years, I could umpire.

Boy, was I wrong. I couldn't umpire worth a lick because I believed all the rules myths. Joey was patient with me and walked me through to become a better umpire over time.

I went to the week long clinic at WRLL headquarters in 2012. That week changed the way I umpire for the better. I developed mechanics, got confidence, learned the rules, and began to network with other umpires. That week was probably the biggest thing I've done as an umpire as it opened so many doors after that - and gave me more chances to minister outside of a church.

See, Little League umpiring is a ministry for me. The biggest way is that I am the calm in the storm. When parents are blowing up, when kids are upset and managers are yelling, I keep my composure. I show the world that no matter how chaotic everything around is, someone can keep their head and make rational decisions while showing love and respect to those who have lost their character.

After that first year of being paid, I refused pay the second year and haven't been paid for Little League since. I bought into the program. Character, loyalty, and courage. These are the pillars of Little League which I get to manifest each game I do. I've made some incredible relationships over the years through umpiring - not just with fellow umpires but with parents and kids. I love walking up at Alta Loma, a place where I can't really work too much anymore because of the distance, and hearing parents say, "Oh, I'm so happy you are here. We've missed you."  There's nothing like walking onto a field and hearing the kids in the dugout whispering to each other, "Hey, we've got a real umpire today!" I make a positive impact on parents and players by being a positive person on the field. It's a great ministry.

This week, I stepped onto the field at Al Houghton Stadium and umpired games for girls from all around the Western part of the United States. I fought hard to find small opportunities to personally connect with coaches and players throughout the week because this is a great community looking to develop the next generation of leaders with personality traits we find important. Without the community, Little League just isn't worth the hassle.

I was able to have small conversations throughout the week at lunch or passing a coach by the pool. Some conversations were with people who support everyone at the tournament while others were with the 14th player of the team who gets one at-bat a game. Every person I met had a story and was able to take away from this week an experience they will never forget.

Still, my ministry of calm in the storm wasn't as available as it usually it so I had to ask God what ministry he wanted for me this week. It was a ministry of encouragement. I purposely found ways to be encouraging throughout the week. Usually, I am very content being the introvert, sitting in my corner on my phone with the bubble around me but I worked hard this week. I feel my fellow umpires were my primary target of the encouragement - and they deserve it. There are so many times as umpires where we do our job and people either never notice or they only see what they perceive are errors and think we're horrible. Being built up feels good and I wanted to share that with them.

This tournament has truly been a roller coaster of emotions. The joy of walking on the field as an umpire for the first time during tournament. The emotions that bubble up when looking out into the stands and seeing people I know watching me, encouraging the umpires, cheering the girls, and supporting me on this incredible journey sometimes made me want to cry (I fought back tears twice this tournament on the field.) The anticipation and trepidation of knowing my first plate at the tournament was right around the corner. The emotional high of success when fear was so close the entire game. The pain of fear, fear of losing close family and fear of losing the chance to finish this. The appreciation of my brothers in blue who supported me when my family was hurting. The joy and relief when they saw me come back. The disappointment of not making it to the final plate. The realization that this is not who I want to be and the adjustment in attitude. The joy in seeing my partners exceed expectations and deliver incredible umpiring. The drama of an 8 inning game. The relief to know that we did our job all week and the girls determined the outcome of the game and the tournament. The sadness of it being over and realizing that I would never walk onto this field again as a softball umpire for the Western Region Little League Regional Tournament. 

I did want to share that my mother-in-law is fine. She was actually having pancreatic pain and some gall stones and not a heart attack so she is home again and in good health. Unfortunately, her mom, who also lived with us, passed away on Tuesday morning at the age of 94. We have her funeral on Monday coming up. This sadness is tempered by the fact that Trina and I are picking up Becca from her mission trip on Friday in Florida and then spending the next 2 days out there, just the three of us. Becca doesn't know yet so that will be a hard part of the reunion.

As I said on Facebook, life is a roller coaster. I'm along for the ride wherever God is laying the track. I am so grateful that God finds me lovable and blesses me with joy and pain, with peaks and valleys. It's quite the ride when there's so many differences so close together, but I think God does it so I can stand in awe at his grace knowing that he is there through it all.

I love my Little League family. Next week, I will spend some time at the baseball tournament and say hi to some of my favorite people in the world. Walking around the stadium is like a family reunion where you actually like everyone there. I can't wait to be a part of it again.

Thank you, my readers, for coming along with me on this journey. May God bless you even more greatly than he has me this week.

Softball Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment