Friday, July 23, 2021

It all starts tomorrow

 We finished our pre-tournament meeting and we're ready to go. Got my regional hat, 2 jerseys (both light blue with a black collar) and my first day schedule. 

Tomorrow, I am at first base for the 9 AM game and at second base at the 4 PM game. The 9 AM game is all Southern California umpires (with a Northern California umpire in the well.) It should be a great day of softball.

Funny thing. When I got my schedule, I was listed as Ernesto Escarzaga. Apparently, Ernesto and I merged into one person for this tournament. Ernie was my partner in crime in 2017 and a DA for a local district. One of my favorite people in the world. It is just funny they combined our names as he was originally supposed to come but then couldn't because, well, he's a DA.

I saw the field today and it is beautiful. They 'skinned' the infield, meaning there is no grass on the infield, just like it should be for softball. It should speed up the game a lot. The first game of the tournament is Arizona and Hawaii, who both are traditional softball powerhouses. It should really kick the tournament off with a bang.

One of the things I will be responsible for as the first base umpire is ensuring the visiting team does not go out onto the field until ESPN is ready for them. A lot of the timing of the tournament is dictated by the demands of television. I have noticed over the years that it makes for a really good broadcast but can slow the in person game down a lot. This year, as most viewership will be online, it should make the entire event a real event. I have no problem helping those viewers at home enjoy the experience.

So if I mess up tomorrow, I have two things to protect me. I'll be wearing my mask and I'll be Ernesto. All pressure is off!

One last note: Got to have dinner with the crew and we have a really good group of guys here. Thus far, it looks like I am 3 for 3 in regional umpire likeability. I look forward to working with these guys this week.

See you in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment